Freak Garage Door Accident

Home/Uncategorized/Freak Garage Door Accident

Source: “Oakville boy, 9, expected to recover after garage door incident,” 680  Radio News, Toronto, Ontario, April 30, 2014.

Several news media in the Toronto area closely covered this story about a 9-year-old boy who was in critical condition after a bizarre garage door accident.

According to reports, the boy entered his pass code on an external keypad. As the garage door opened, his hoodie was apparently snagged by the T-handle on the center of the door. He was lifted off his feet and nearly strangled, but after two days in critical condition, he was expected to fully recover.

Editor’s Note: Although this was a freak accident, it highlights the importance of the placement and orientation of exterior handles.